Saturday, July 7, 2007

TaF from secondary school days

I admit it, I like track trainings.. Heck, I love it.. or at least I think I loved it..

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

I remember when I was in secondary school, how we had no coach for the first 2 years.. We just warmed up and did some drills for about one hour before playing games like captain's ball and soccer.. Sometimes we did gym, which made the trainings longer, and sometimes we do "repetitions" around the school.. We NEVER trained on the track..
THATS how sucky the training was.. but I liked it, it was fun.. and I was good at captain's ball..

When Mr Tan Kim Seng came, I was apprehensive at first, coz I REALLY enjoyed our games, and with a new coach, who knows what would happen..

The first change was that we actually went to a proper stadium to train.. We mostly went to Bedok Stadium to train, many fond memories there from my primary school Sports Day glory days (which I can also say I did not train for on track, but around school)..

The second change was NO GAMES after training.. was a big bummer initially, but I soon grew to love the intense and challenging workouts he gave us.. Pushing myself to my limit, trusting him to know when to stop the training, to know when I can't continue.. I was a good.. should I say trainee? I listened well to my coach and NEVER left a workout incomplete no matter what (unless you count injuries)..

The last change happened in my late sec 3 days.. we were to train with the Temasekians.. It was a little dry at first, but soon I appreciated their prescence.. The girls from my school were always behind me, and I didn't have the push to go faster, they were also slow in their movement about the stadium, I was always ahead.. The Temasekians (guys) provided the extra push I needed.. I ran with them for the 200m repetitions repeatedly, keeping better constant timing.. Things were fine, I never had an injury.. (except that time I played basketball and sprained my ankle badly 3 weeks before Nationals and recovered only one week before)..

I loved the feeling of accomplishment after a job well done, and that high feeling you feel after a hard day's training.. Especially if your coach gives you positive feedback

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

Now, I'm in VJC, and I get my first ever hamstring injury (which TOTALLY SUCKS), don't need to travel to a stadium for training (for now) and have girls who are on par, or maybe even better than me (yay!).. Plus the extra bonus a few people know about *GRINS*.. yup, life is good, and the competition here is not as hard, coz no SSS (yay!)..

VJC doesn't do group cool downs, maybe one of the reasons I had the injury since I keep forgetting to do my cooldown stretches.. (argh!)

My hamstring.. it is super annoying.. because of it, I can't sprint as I used to, even striding hurts abit.. You know when you eat food, there may be an aftertaste? When I (try to) sprint, there is an after pain.. The harder I try, the more intense it is, so sometimes after trying to do faster striding, I just stand on the track, not moving for a few seconds, waiting for the pain to subside..
My captain, Mr Lim also has a hamstring injury (he had one last year also).. He finds it odd that my hamstring hasn't gotten better since I injured it during SPH.. ME TOO! WHY!?!?!?!
I miss it, the short bursta of speed.. accelerating as fast as you can, i miss doing speed training, all I've been doing recently are repetitions!

But so far, the best thing about VJ's training is that I understand more.. with the old Mr Tan, I didn't know how to push off the blocks, I didn't know how to keep my hips high and bring my knees up while running, I didn't even know that 200m is not 100% all out all the way! I've become a better athlete..

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

But the past don't matter now, what matters is the present and future.. The present is the current Nationals, I will try to do my best for the Nationals..

However the future is quite foggy.. I'm unsure to whether join basketball or stay with track.. I can't choose both as I value my studies..

If I join basketball, I no longer have to worry about my mass, and also playing basketball, I don't feel the same pain as I do in track..

But I'm closer to the trackers, and track doesn't require as much strategy as basketball (which I'm not exactly good at)..

So I guess the deciding factors now are which one needs more players/runners and if i get a good leadership role in track..

Praying for mine and YaoP's hastened recovery, and Manda's recovery too, and may the Lord she so loves guide her and strengthen her every single day and allow her the joy in life she deserves..

love you manda, and please get well soon

No comments: